Monday, December 23, 2013



MARIA AGNES 

Fashion Designer. Bali 

What is Heaven for Maria Agnes?

That feeling of being in love,
 when everything is heightened and intense and life is not elsewhere. 

Or a sunset I experienced at this red beach in Santorini, where the sky and the sand slowly took on the same hue and seemed to merge – it was beautiful. But lately it’s become even simpler for me. I love my regular drive through rice fields up to Ubud  - I see this farmer walking his massive pink pig every afternoon and it makes me smile. Green tea in the morning, healthy juices, dwelling on my breath during morning meditation or yoga… I guess I’m saying heaven’s right here.

What was your dream when you were a teenager?

I remember wanting to be a globetrotting entrepreneur from a very young age. I was always drawn to the idea of travel. Back then I saw myself in a smart business suit –
 so I guess that part didn’t work out.

Can you tell me the biggest obstacle working in fashion industry?  

When I really think about it, in a way I’ve created most of the obstacles I’ve experienced. By being too ambitious, wanting to do things my own way instead of letting them be. I’ve learned so much in the last three years running this brand, maybe more than at any other time in my life. It’s hard work. But I’ve had so much fun doing it – it’s been a really important part of my life journey.  


What’s the story behind the name Blackheart?

Blackheart just popped up spontaneously when I first started thinking about creating a fashion brand. At that time Blackheart suited me perfectly. Black was my favorite color (it still is); I love working with it creatively. To me it’s the perfect color (and I don’t use the word perfect lightly).  To me it’s strong but it still has this modesty about it – it’s mysterious, subtle. Heart is because I do everything from the heart.

What is the most radical decision that you have ever made?

On a fashion industry level? Probably following my heart and starting this company with the intention from the outset of taking it global, even though I was an industry rookie. I’ve never regretted that decision. I don’t know if you could call this radical – but it’s so important to keep on going even when things get hard, that’s how you keep learning and growing.

(All Images of Maria Agnes exclusively photographed by Jonathan Hokklo , Maria Agnes wearing BLACKHEART)

Was there a turning point that made you who you are now?

My life really changed when things got tough – when everything felt like more than I could handle. There was a time when I was too exhausted to be ambitious, when I was just mad because I wanted everything to go my own way. And then I realized that there had to be a more fulfilling way of doing things, a way to actually enjoy my life while still working towards my goals. Part of that was not trying to control everything so much.

What is your next goal in life?

I’m trying to be more gentle and loving towards myself and other people. I could talk about work projects and ideas, but you know what, that’s the most important thing for me right now. Get contented and everything else flows from there. 

WORKS





check the latest collection of BLCKHRT by Maria Agnes "here"


No comments:

Post a Comment