Tuesday, February 4, 2014



MARSHYA D MARTHA


Stylist. Bandung


Anything you wish you can repeat in your life?

There are few events that I want to repeat, but what I would actually really go back to is something that just happened few months ago in New York City. In one random yet pleasant last night partying back in the big apple. It all started when a friend of mine that work in Kinfolk as a Dj invited me to attend a private event in East Village, an intimate party, which attendees includes old folks and their small children, the setting was so disco it has a prom night decor in it. 

The people are just so nice and very talkative. As the party goes, the good people started saying how lucky i am to be invited in this party, curious about it i asked a friend of mine Tim (Sweeney) who happened to be there as well. Tim then explain to me that this very party is actually "The Loft" party created by David Mancuso one the starting New Yorker born and raised disco Dj, that started in the 70s. This party is originally created to be an event that does not limit anyone to be their own, a party that does not sell drinks, food, or anything, a party which you could actually bring your own goods, a place where great names such as Frankie Knuckles, Nicky Siano, and Larry Levan are one the 'invite only' attendees back in the day. It was a mindblowing experience. So yes, it was a historical night of my life, and I would give anything to get back to it. :)


You’ve been travelling around the world , and experienced lots of culture . is there anything that you can share?

I have learned here and there, but talking about time management, male superiority and cleanliness there are no place like Japan. The public transport up there is up to perfection, never late, packed, yet high in quality-wise. Therefore there is no excuse for someone to be late in Japan, is just about how you want to be on-time and that's that. Another thing about Japan is how there is rarely occurs "Ladies first" policy applied in daily activities. The Japanese ladies are quite aggressive compare to the males, they would say 'I love you' first if the guy is just unbelievably shy. Unlike some of the Indonesians, they don't really spend so many times talking on the phone and spending bills on the mobile.

Since I love to collect a little bit of records, a friend of mine took me to a joint where they would sell a vast variety of second-hand records, that i might add, still in a very mint condition even though it's one of those first pressings and with a fair price too. Make me realize how the Japanese really took care of their belongings, lucky for me. :)


What do you like the best about your job ?

I have always been fascinated by fashion since my early age,  i would go out and buy quirky clothes, fashion magazines and other unusual knick-knacks to wear). I started my career as a fashion magazine's fashions editor/stylist, wardrobe for music video and some Indonesian's big screen films. Like, Madame X, Catatan Harian Si Boy and Arisan 2. Therefore, working as a Fashion Stylist i could encounter different kinds of people with different kinds of characteristics in their own interpretation of style. I love to have an interesting chat with anyone, so this job has a plus point in that area. Every stories, experiences and events happened throughout my life has been a priceless lesson in my styling guide. All those above are the best of my job.

My other passion are parties, as you probably can tell. hehe. So i like to create party concepts. I delivered a collab project back in 2007-2008 named Misch Masch along with Dipha Barus, which turned out to be a successful series of events. Currently me and Kiki a good friend of mine creates this party gig called Map of Uhuru (meaning: Map of Freedom) where Dj’s could play their very own selection of obscurities. Map of Uhuru been going on twice already (vol.1-September 2013 & vol.2-December 2013), with a good feedback


What do you think a person should do to find their own style ? 

My simple and humble advice is please don't follow trend too literally, create your own style and be confident about it, work it , own it and make it as a trend (hahaha).  I would rather see someone that work an out-dated style with confidence rather that someone that just follow trend too much and end up overwhelming. Synchronize your personality with your choice of style, don't let anything dictate you and you would be a happier person.



Do you think Money is important for a person to have a personal STYLE ?

It is relative, as money cannot buy style. But it could buy good brands, but good brands still needs some good eyes and a sense of fashion to handpick them off the rack.


What is a Favorite Item that you own and why ?

A Bike, I got it as a gift from a Japanese friend of mine, when I was on a holiday in Tokyo. That friend of mine wants me to experience bike riding in Tokyo, and on my last day staying there I took that bike home, as that friend of mine would like to see that bike hits the road back in Bandung. So yes, the bike is definitely one of my favorite item, considering the randomness and the fun time it gave me.


Any dream shoot or collaboration ? 


I dream of a collaboration with Juergen Teller-Photographer and Bernhard Willhelm-Fashion Designer, making a short film inspired from Teller's photo cuts as a story-line. Since I'm a fan of Juergen Teller's photograph concepts and his choice of color mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment