Wednesday, November 6, 2013


KINEZ RIZA

Photographer . Jakarta




Who is Kinez Riza , How do you see yourself ? 


Kinez Riza is in the process of shedding many selves, she does this at an alarming speed, partially because she's attracted to experiencing a multitude of things all at once and being frightened of it too.

The extension of herself is visually represented through her artwork - from which she has obtained the professional word 'artist' - even though in earlier points of her life she wanted to be a veterinarian, a doctor, a marine biologist, a mechanical engineer, a college professor, an archeologist, a writer, a conflict negotiator, a relief worker, an anthropologist et al. 
As you might be able to notice, the question of identity was an ever-present topic in her formative years, and being exposed to different notions about 'reality' nudged her to pursue her current interests in exploring these two things as the contextual study of her work. She's found a deep affinity with Nature, and in this realm she finds the threads that sew the fabric of different worlds together. Worlds that are more primordial in nature in contrast to modern civilization, worlds that speak to her in poetry and deeply rooted wisdom. She expresses these ventures as 'artist-led expeditions', because she'd like to look at the wonderful things that fall out of linear time and space, things that have been here long before anything was and things that give glimpses of the shape of things to come. Things that resonate with her 'self' and things that provide a sense of connectedness between people from all walks of life. She's done a lot of intentional wandering, places as north as the Arctic Circle and as old as a 130 million year old rainforest, as volatile as chasing whales with the traditional Lamafa hunters of Lamalera and as quieting as watching the heavens and the sea merge together as phosphorus plankton light the ocean at night. This process cultivates into her artwork, because she internalizes everything so much, something has to come out that isn't borne from a negative expression and reflects a conduit instead of a grand social theory. She's tentatively sharing more of her work (despite actually being quite private and obscure) because it would be nice to continue doing what she does, she hopes it would provide positive engagement from her audience, although she very much understands that everyone's perception of reality is unique to their own.  




What are you doing as of this moment ? 


I've just returned from two incredible residency programs, one is hosted by The Farm Inc. NY and takes place in the Arctic Circle, we embarked on a Barkentine tall ship and sailed the High Arctic for two and half weeks, making regular wilderness landings and producing work. The other residency is a partnership with ARKENAS, The Geology Museum in Bandung and members of the University of Wollongong faculty that took place on archaeological and paleontological excavation sites around the Soa Basin in Bajawa, Flores. Both provided me with the incredible opportunity to work with brilliant scientists and artists in their field. The team in the Soa Basin included Prof. Thomas Sutikna, Prof. Erick Setiyabudhi, Dr. Gert Dirk Van der Bergh and Dr. Adam Brumm who worked closely with Mike Morwood for many years and uncovered Homo Floresiensis (the Hobbit man) in Liang Bua. I am attempting to represent my ideas visually after being on these trips, and they contextually range from the implication of myths as representations of knowledge in 'primitive' world views to the tension between evolutionary findings in Flores in contrast to the prevalence of Catholic and Muslim communities. Earlier this year I also spent some time with the Lamafa traditional whale hunters in Lamalera, Lembata. So having had such a phenomenal year on the field, it's studio post-production lock down time. I'm working with Pak Bona Beding and Ivan Nestorman on his book 'Jesus and the Three Fat Whales of Lamalera' through an endorsement piece, cover art and my portrait of Pak Sangha (the chief Lamafa hunter) along with works from my Edens series will be exhibited during the book launch. I am also continuing my residency with the Geology Museum in Bandung by developing a few more series through the museum archive collection. My work from the Arctic Circle is nearing completion and it'll be very exciting to debut this soon! I'm essentially 'grounded' for the next few months before I can wander off again.






What is the meaning of the word adult to you ? 


What a question! Notions of adulthood are diverse: the general perception being that you enter a phase in your life to functionally contribute to society as a whole, another are more internal conflicts in undergoing conscious self creation. I consider myself as going through 'early' adulthood, that I believe is a tension between intimacy and isolation. I find the term 'adult' to be a confusing one on its own because I can't quite fathom yet what it means for me personally, certainly we are granted with more freedom to do our bidding, but the pitfalls come at a higher stake. It's risky business adulthood, I'd rather adopt the Aboriginal cosmology of seeing things four dimensionally, we are young as we are old at the same time, that way the constraints of a linear time perspective would be less of a deciding factor when you are going to make binding life decisions. Unfortunately our biology doesn't see quite the same way. I am such a nerd.



Labels or Love ?



Labels or Love.... it's fair to say that everyone needs to have their basic needs met as some form of security, but love is pretty top on the levels of consciousness. I'm fond of material goods, and even though some would hands down prefer love over stuff you can't underestimate your relationship with evocative objects, objects that you interact meaningfully with. I am familiar with the effect of a nice fitting dress, or something more abstract like an antler or a fossil (nerd). I exchange objects with certain people (yes you guessed it, romantically) that involves abstract objects, it ranges from a Borneo peacock feather to a whale vertebrae (yes I am still a nerd), and that's provided me with an outlet for expression. Yes I do go shopping when I feel the need to look good, or to be prepared before going on a wander, and I'd rather have some cash prepared and available when necessary. On the other hand 'love' transcends all this and satiates your appetite for 'stuff', there is less wanting and more being. I could go full for ages on love, it has kept me running when everything else is low. Didactic questions are the worst to ask me (nerd) because I am such a nerd and I could never quite get out of a grey area. This has been both a good thing and a bad thing, as most things are. I don't think I even answered the question, sorry.






Name 3 best songs that can change your mood . 

The Durutti Column - Love No More
The Durutti Column - Opera I
The XX - Intro (10 hour Remix)


How do you see your life 3 years from now ? 

I try not to over think the future because it has been an unhealthy habit of mine when I combine the word 'future' with 'thinking', seeing as I over think anyway you can imagine it's the worst possible rut to be in. My prudent and wise family would say that having plans is a good thing, so within the range of where I'd like to take my work or the expeditions I'd like to go on this would be working closely with scientific, academic and art institutions on developing my work. I'd like to exhibit, get a book out, come to terms with 'adulthood', maybe make a few big decisions that I have no clue of what it'll be at the moment, make more mistakes, fail a bit more and get back up from it too. Most of all I'd love to be able to ride it all out better, be good at growing, keep my limbs intact, and do more good for others. 



Tell me the worst advice that someone ever gave it to you .

'What you are doing and who you are as an individual is worthless to society as a whole, do something else, be someone else.' 

Yeah that was harsh. Coming into your own takes courage and your journey is just as meaningful as anyone else's. You'll meet people that fit into your mould or those who don't, but don't be too bloody hard on yourself that you'd actually consider taking that advice.  


Works : 
( click to enlarge )








Follow her on Instagram 




No comments:

Post a Comment